Sunday, August 3, 2014

Good Morning Justin

Letter to my Son
Sunday, 3 August





Good Morning Justin…

There are no magazines in Lord Christo’s waiting room.  It is a simple room having a few chairs, curtains drawn shut, a thick aroma of incense and a gargoyle, with wings like those of a bat, peering down from a ledge above the door.  An elderly cat sleeps curled at the base of a Gothic-carved pedestal.  It holds aloft the steady burn of a stoic white candle, thick in its own drippings.  An apparition from another century appears at the door.  He is tall, severe in features, dressed all in black.

“Yes, how can I help you?”
“Hello.  I’m Delores from the Reelect Cory Fletcher for Senate Campaign.  Are you Ldchris Carew?”
“I’m Lord Christo.”
“I see.  Thank you.  Are you familiar with Cory Fletcher?”
“And he is… ?”
“He’s our Senator.  He’s working to make government more responsive to people such as yourself.”
“How would he do that?”
“Oh, there are any number of ways.  I’m sure you are aware of the crisis in higher education.  Cory Fletcher would provide more money for schools.  Is this something that would be of interest to you?”
“I can give it some thought.”
“Can we count on your vote then for Cory Fletcher in November?”
“Listen, you’ve caught me at a bad time.  I’m about to perform an exorcism.  Maybe you could come back later this afternoon.”
“Oh, I’m sorry.  I don’t know if I’ll still be in the neighborhood.  How about I leave you our Cory Fletcher on the Issues information pamphlet?”
“Yes, that sounds fine.”
“Do you think you can support Cory Fletcher?”
“I’m definitely considering it.”
“That’s wonderful.  Would you be interested in doing volunteer work for Cory Fletcher?”
“I’m sorry.  There’s a soul in terrible pain in the next room.  I must return to my work.”
“Yes, of course.  You have a beautiful home.”
“Thank you.  Bye.”

Love,
          Dad


No comments:

Post a Comment