Monday, February 9, 2015

Happy Birthday Jessicca

Letter to my Daughter
Monday, 9 February


Happy 21st Birthday Jessicca!


I did a drawing for you for this day.  It’s called Sunny and Warm.  I can’t say much about it, though, because I haven’t yet figured it out.  There’s a lot of overlapping images – kind of like a movie poster – but there’s no story here.  What’s the point?



Maybe it pictures a feeling where I can’t find the words.  That’s what I’m thinking anyway.  See?  I don’t even know what I’m talking about.  I’m betting that doesn’t matter.



I feel a bit queasy with this picture.  My legs are in danger of going out from under me.  A woman points at something but… so?  It seems the merry-go-round is suddenly running berserk.  Oh, the calamity of it all.  Mother Goose with motion sickness; nursery rhymes tumbling everywhere.



Get a load of this guy.  He sees futility in every human endeavor.  Why bother?  I have to ask myself why I put him into this picture.  My best explanation is that he was easy to draw.



So let’s get back to lighting the candles and singing Happy Birthday!  We've opened the windows to let a breeze through the house.  It’s seventy degrees today – Sunny and Warm – and in the midst of a Carolina winter.  A lot happens in the course of a year.  I feel certain your year ahead will be filled with moments of extraordinary interest.  I know.  I read it in a fortune cookie.

Happy Birthday Jessicca!

Love,
          Dad

© Tom Taylor



No comments:

Post a Comment