Saturday, January 31, 2026

p h o t o s

  







 P I E R R O T     C L I M B I N G     T H R O U G H     A     W I N D O W


F E L I X     N A D A R               1 8 5 4



 The long exposure time required in the early days

of photography made staged action shots such

as this near impossible.


The deep shadows created from loose-fitting clothing

adds to the picture a sculptural quality.







 A L F R E D     L O R D     T E N N Y S O N


J U L I A     M A R G A R E T     C A M E R O N               1 8 6 9




 Tennyson titled this picture of himself as

The Dirty Monk - tired, unkempt and brooding.

Tennyson went about his business of being

the nation's poet laureate while attired

in a romantic's cloak.







 O  S  I  P       B  R  I  K


A L E X A N D E R     R O D C H E N K O               1 9 2 4




 Rodchenko wanted people to see objects anew.

His photography involved making the familiar strange.

Here a friend's head barely fits into the portrait space.

A Russian logo is double-exposed over one eye.

The result is an image suited to be posted 

as promotion for some Orwellian venture.







 T H E     G R A D U A T I N G     C L A S S 


F R A N K     E U G E N E               1 9 1 3 




We're not documenting students graduating.

Look at the mood.  Artistic manipulation.

Ladies posed to perfection under soft lights.

Eugene displays a painter's dreamworld

through his photographer's lens.








 C R I S S - C R O S S E D     C O N V EY O R S


C H A R L E S     S H E E L E R               1 9 2 7 



 

Sheeler was enthralled by the precision of machinery

and the logic of industrial order.  The opportunity

to photograph Ford's giant River Rouge factory was,

for Sheeler, like being given a tour of the future.

Here was technological utopia laid out before him.

Here was our substitute for religious experience.


Intoxicating.







 O L D     T I M E R     S T R U C T U R A L     W O R K E R


L E W I S     H I N E               1 9 3 0 



 

Hines referred to them as sky boys - 

the workers he photographed laboring 

to build the 102 story Empire State Building.

It was his testament to the heroic nature of 

modern industrial man.

 



*  *  *  *  *

 





©  Tom Taylor







 

OVER   EASY



coldValentine




 

No comments:

Post a Comment